Smith Lake: The Making

After a recent read in 78 Magazine's Soul of Smith section, I've become quite intrigued with the history of Smith Lake.  While it may come as a surprise to some, particularly the construction of Duncan Bridge. Smith Lake as a whole, Duncan Bridge and other fixtures around our lake have always just "been there" for me. Landmarks we see on the way to our little piece of heaven in Winston county. 

The Construction of Duncan Bridge
Photo: Walker County Today
I've known our lake was established in 1961, built by Alabama Power, for whom it was named, miles of shoreline and that it spans across three counties in North Alabama. After reading the feature I referenced above, I've found myself fascinated with much more than the mere facts. My curiosity has been sparked. I want to know what life was like before the dam filled up, the roads once traveled, houses once called a home and the fixtures residents once saw to & from...all that is now beneath the surface of our beloved Lewis Smith Lake. 

In my short minutes of research before I was needed else where, I came across the following interesting pieces. Clearly I am not the first person intrigued with this subject, so if you know of more --- send it my way! I'd love to read it!

~Thanks for loving Smith Lake!



Source: Walker County Today in 2016


Birth of Smith Lake slide show. Included are various pics of the construction of Lewis Smith Dam, Duncan Bridge, Big Bridge in Cullman County, as well as pics of Smith Lake filling.
Link: https://www.facebook.com/walkercotoday/videos/1252851264736823/


Source: The Cullman Times in 2012

More than fifty years later, residents recall the birth of Smith Lake.

Link: http://www.cullmantimes.com/news/more-than-years-later-residents-recall-birth-of-smith-lake/article_a204c86b-ffc8-5a30-ace3-b274a0a2dd22.html

Comments

Smith Lake Favorites