Summer on Smith {the extended version}

For my family Summer on Smith started ironically on Friday, March 13th when we arrived to take refuge from "the corona" after school came to sudden halt. Our children started swimming shortly there after -- in 5 to 10 minute spurts with about 30 dock jumps a piece. Now that May has turned to June ~ that is not the case, but an extended summer on Smith certainly is.

When everything started I was fresh with ideas of fun activities for EVERYONE ~ including myself.  I had many visions of fun planned, but at this point I must admit I've gotten a little stir crazy. BUT, I am happy to say I've officially "put on my summer hat" and am gearing up for a fantastic 4th.  I've put together a list of 5 different things to do at the lake to keep your summer full of surprises! 


1.  Boat Ride Bingo with your people of all ages! Click here for the printable, but I highly recommend clip boards for pressing and keeping your card secure while on the boat along with a coveted prize for the winner. {side note I am planning to laminate mine and use dry erase markers}


2. On-water Olympics with your family and neighbors. This can be fun for folks of all ages, so grab a waterproof stop watch, a score board of some nature and set the date. Here are few we do in our slough:

  • Using the same starting point, time everyone in your crew individually swimming, kayaking, paddle boarding one at time. Record their times & announce your winner ~ it gets pretty interesting -- TRUST me.
  • Grab two trusty noodles, a water mat and have a good old fashioned sword fight! First one to fall ~ well that don't win!
  • Put together the good ole ball in the air and see who can run, jump and catch it the MOST. 


3.  On-Water Campout with a tent pitched on the dock. It will require some serious padding to sleep, but now is the perfect time temperature wise otherwise its just a fun activity to gear everyone up!


4. Lunch Picnic not for your boat, but to be served from the paddle board or another floating device. Yes, it may take a little planning -- but that's what makes it fun!


5. Destination Swimming ~ create the checklist and time limit for each spot and off you go!
  • Goose Nest Cove 
  • Cocktail Cove 
  • Three Fingers Rock 
  • Waterfalls of Clear Creek {right after a rain}
  • Illusion Rock on Rock Creek near Indian Head Cave 

Enjoy the time and while it may seem wild and crazy, we are living history and making memories! Stay stay Smith Lake!

Comments

Smith Lake Favorites